Skip to content

FAQ 's

Rose-Hulman Study Abroad FAQ’s
Last updated summer 2020
How does COVID-19 impact my plans to study abroad?

COVID-19 has impacted study abroad in a variety of ways.  While we don’t know when borders will reopen and international travel is viable again, we continue to monitor the situation.  There are many ways to get a global perspective on campus through courses, clubs, and volunteer opportunities.  We encourage students to continue to explore options for future study abroad as well as check out the many virtual exchange options available through Rose-Hulman’s partners and other international education providers.  These virtual exchanges provide opportunities for students to become engaged globally, learn cross-cultural skills, and even intern with global organizations without leaving the U.S. 

Can I study abroad and still complete on time?

Yes!  Most students have successfully spent a summer, quarter, or year abroad and have finished within the typical four-year program.  Some students have actually been able to use study abroad to graduate early!  The sooner you begin exploring options and making decisions about when you will study abroad, the easier it is to incorporate the experience into your academic plan.  Students are encouraged to speak with their academic advisor and to determine which courses will be best taken abroad.  Often students take a combination of Tech or Free Electives and HSSA classes.  A number of departments have developed four-year plans that show how you can study abroad and stay on track.  These can be accessed on the Center for Global Engagement Study Abroad website.

How much will it cost?

The cost for study abroad can vary depending on your own circumstances and the type of program you choose.  Students who study abroad through exchange programs will pay the same tuition that they would if they studied at Rose.  Housing costs and other fees may vary.  Students who choose affiliated and unaffiliated programs pay directly to the program and [HK2] may pay more or less than they do at Rose-Hulman, depending on the selected program.  Information about expected costs are available at each program’s website.

Are there special grants?

Yes!  Rose-Hulman offers a competitive International Travel Grant to help offset some of the costs related to study abroad.  This grant is offered on a sliding scale based on cost of program, student need, and quality of application.  There are other excellent grant opportunities available through external organizations, including competitive federal grants, including the Gillman and Boren scholarships.  Private and other government grants may be available.  In all cases, the earlier you begin planning the better, as many of these awards have only one application period each year.  A list of some of the available grant programs is available here

Where can I go?

Where can’t you go?!  Rose-Hulman has direct partnerships with institutions around the globe.  In addition, through the Global Engineering Education Exchange consortium (Global E3), we are connected to 39 additional institutions in 23 countries.  Plus, we have carefully selected program providers that can place students in other institutions and centers in numerous countries.  Check out this map that show many of the places our students can go.

Are there programs that are good for my major?

Most students who study abroad take a combination of Tech Electives, Free Electives, and HSSA courses.  Depending on your major, you may find a particular program that offers additional courses.   Students have also used study abroad to concentrate on a specialized topic to augment their major.  A number of departments have worked to find programs that are particularly good for their majors.  A list of some of these departments is available here.

I’m an athlete.  Can I study abroad?

Absolutely!  Since we have study abroad opportunities available each term and in the summer, you will be able to select a term that does not conflict with your sport.  Early planning will make this easier, so start exploring your options as soon as possible.

When is the best time to go?

The best time varies.  It depends on where you want to go (spring is more popular for Germany and Japan, while summer/fall is more popular for New Zealand and Australia), what you want to study and how much time you have.  You will want to consult your academic advisor and the Center for Global Engagement to determine what terms will work best for your academic plan and goals.

Why should I study abroad?

There are a myriad of reasons to study abroad!  Study abroad can make you more marketable and help you with the “transferrable skills” that are crucial for success as you progress in your chosen career.  Students who have studied abroad indicate that they developed adaptability, leadership, and cross-cultural skills as they navigated life in another country.  If you are interested in learning a language, you can take advantage of opportunities to become more fluent.  Finally, it’s fun!  Students often report that study abroad was the highlight of their college experience.  For more information about why study abroad, visit here.

Are there classes in English?

Yes! Many of our partners offer classes in English, even if the language for the country you are studying in is different.  If you are not already proficient in the language of the country, we do expect you to take a language course while you are there so that you will get the most out of your experience.

Will my credits transfer?

With advance planning, the short answer is “Yes”!  As part of the preparation for study abroad, you will complete a transfer credit review before finalizing study abroad plans.  Submitted through this registrar’s office, each course will be reviewed by the appropriate department head who will determine how the credits will come back to Rose-Hulman and which requirements may be met.  In order for credits to transfer, you must get a minimum of the equivalent of a “C” in the class.  Credits will be noted as “TR” on your transcript; grades will not transfer in and will not impact your GPA.

Do I need a visa?

You may need a visa depending on the country you choose to study in, what you will do there, and how long you will be there.  The Center for Global Engagement and your host institution will be able to assist you in determining what visa you will need, if any.

Can I use my financial aid to study abroad?

Often students find that they are able to use some, if not all, of their financial aid when studying abroad.   Students are encouraged to speak with the Financial Aid office to see what aid they may be able to use for study abroad.  The amount may depend on the type of aid available to you and the type of program you select.  Rose-Hulman offers an International Travel Grant and can assist students in identifying other external aid available to them.  (See “Are there Special Grants?”)

How do I apply to study abroad?

Once you have found the program that you’re interested in, click on the “Apply Now” button on that program page on the study abroad website.  You will be asked to submit your transcript, essay, advisor approval, and faculty recommendation.  Once you’ve been approved to study abroad by Rose-Hulman, you will apply directly to the program.  Note that some programs require recommendation by Rose-Hulman before an application link will be sent to you.  If you have any questions about the process, don’t hesitate to contact the Center for Global Engagement.  Deadlines are very important, so make sure you start your application process early!